Knife Making

Discussion in 'Knives' started by CharlieBear, May 21, 2014.

1. CharlieBear

CharlieBear New Member

Anyone with the smallest tips or knowledge on knife making, just leave it here and I'm going to try and make something on it, it's a very rewarding hobby that anyone can try, from scrap to knife!! Easy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Paracord Forum

2. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

I've been making blades for about a year now and so far I've learned a few things.
    • If you are forging your blades a coal is better than charcoal and charcoal briquets are crap, lol.
    • Treat everything around your forge or anything you grind on as if it is hot, even if it isn't hot, it is HOT.
    • Heat treating is important. If you dont plan to heat treat, make sure you don't get your material hot from grinding or sanding. keep a bucket of water handy and cool it often.
    • Make a plan and stick to it. If you change your mind on a design or feature in the middle of the project you have a better chance of dicking it up. write down ideas, make sketches and try new things on different blades.
    • Its easier to remove material than add it. If you are using power tools, leave more than you think you'll need when removing stock. this gives you a cushion for adjustments when you get closer to finished.
    • PPE - at the very least wear gloves and glasses. I wear a full on suit when grinding or forging. welding hat, face shield, safety glasses or goggles, facemask or respirator, gloves, leather welding cape, leather apron and steel toes. if a vice or clamp gets lose and you go wailing on it hot steel flying across your shop is not happy times if it sinks into your bare skin...
    • Research research research. Ive watched a bazillion youtube vids on blacksmithing and knife making, read more threads and articles than I can count. Notes and drawings cover my desk and work bench.

I love hammering steel and grinding out blades. It's good stress relief and is rewarding at the end of the day. especially if you give or sell them and you get praise for your efforts. and I get to play with fire and sharp things while I do it!

3. bluesoda

bluesoda New Member

Nice information HardcoreSlot but how many beers do I need in the whole process of making a single knife?

4. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

Damn, that was a long time ago!!
    haha, but all of those things still hold up.
    As far as beers if you started 12 pack about noon you'll have a bunch of hot beers by 2, finish them by dinner and you'll have about half a blade.

I generally put about 10-20 hours into a knife, depending on how i start them. I usually work on a few at a time so that I can have one in each stage so that I am not stuck waiting for them all to cook or glue to dry or something.