Paracord Math Formula?

Discussion in 'General Paracord Discussion' started by MrParacord, Nov 20, 2013.

1. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Does anyone have a proven concrete math formula for figuring out how much paracord is needed for common bracelets like the Cobra, King Cobra, etc?

I recently made a King Cobra bracelet size 9 inch wrist with a 1 inch wide whistle buckle (see Paracord Projects for a pic if interested) and I used a total of 21.6feet of paracord.

So I rounded it up to 22ft and divided that by 9in (wrist size) = 2.44444
    Then to check I put 2.4 times 9 (wrist size) = 21.6

Now since I'm not going to measure out 2.4ft I just rounded up to 2.5ft.

If my math is correct it takes 2.5ft per inch (in my case 9inch. Not my wrist size) to make a King Cobra bracelet with 1 inch buckle tying the knots tight.

2. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

Not bad!
    I know that my wingspan x 2 - 8'' to 10'' will do a cobra add a bit more for a king.
    This will leave me a tag end that is easy to work with, 5 or so inches.
    I keep telling myself that im going to build one and unravel it and make a guide, but I never seem to...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

3. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

also, ive been following ShawnNoffys vids and he says 5ft for most of them and it comes out about the same.

4. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

5ft for what? Shawn can you explain this more?

5. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

Each one of his vids shows a different bracelet with a buckle, about 8" or 9"
    He uses about 5ft on each one and it comes out with a good tag end.

6. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

So your saying he makes a 8 or 9" bracelet with just 5' of paracord? This I got to see.

7. truggles

truggles Junior Member

I assume that he means 5 feet of each color.

When I make a bracelet I will normally pull out my wingspan worth of cord for each color. I typically have less than a foot of scrap. I would say that 5 feet is a really close length to what I use.

8. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

I use about 7 feet one color or 3.5 feet two color to do a 7 inch wrist cobra weave using a 1/2" buckle.

9. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

yeah, 5ft of each color is what I meant, my bad.
    I followed a couple of his vids and I used a soft 5ft measuring tape to measure my lengths and got less than a foot of cut off as well.

10. TwinSpar

TwinSpar New Member

The formula/process I used was start a knot pattern, mark a starting knot, weave for 1+ inches, and mark at 1 inch. Next I undid section and measured the distance of cord it took for each side(s) to make 1 inch of completed product. Then it was Length of product (bracelet or sling) * length of sides to make one inch + total length needed for the core + 1 or 2 feet of slack for each side. Bracelets I leave 1 foot of slack and slings a allow 2.

11. J-Will

J-Will ermahgerd perrkerd

I end up using a little over 18 feet total for King Cobra for my wrist size. So I start with 20 just to make sure. Now Trilobite, Piranha, and the others.... who knows. I have them written down at home for my wrist size. Don't know about others. I'll have to figure it up and post it.

12. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

That would be good J-Will.
    I've only made the Trilobite Bar once but it seems it uses less cord than a Solomon Bar of the same wrist size.